History of Use
The Merchants Bank of Canada was established in Humboldt in January 1914. In March, 1920, a branch at Humboldt was planned for construction, but was awaiting approval from head office. Tenders were received in June 1920 and construction began soon after. The tender was for a 25?x?60 foot?structure, two storeys, full size basement, solid red brick construction, two vaults and a fireplace. The main floor was to be occupied by the bank with the second floor as living quarters for the staff. The Merchants Bank of Canada remained here until it was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in March 1922.
The Bank of Montreal used this building from April 1922 until it closed in March 1931. The reason stated in the local newspaper was "insufficient business." The building was vacant until the Canadian Bank of Commerce purchased it the following year.
Additions were made to the building in 1948 and 1964. The branch became part of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) in June 1961. CIBC moved to the building next door in October 1989 and donated the building to the municipality.?The Willkommen Centre, which was?a place to purchase souvenirs and?learn about?Humboldt's past,?opened in its place?later that year.
Designated Historic Site
The Museum assumed stewardship of the building in 2011, and that same year the building was designated as Municipal Heritage Property. In January 2014, the?building was re-opened as a professional gallery and acts as an extension location for the Museum providing additional exhibition space.
The?Gallery is now a community venue designed to host travelling and local art shows, events, workshops, education and public programming, an annual concert series and much more.?