History of Use
The?building that now houses the Museum was?originally built to be the community?post office. The structure featured a Richardson Romanesque style of architecture, which was characteristic to?federal buildings constructed between 1910 and 1914. The structure served as?Humboldt’s?post office?from 1912 to 1975 and a customs office?from 1912 to 1932. The Humboldt detachment of the?RCMP?had its offices and living quarters on the second floor from 1933 to 1964.?The War Time Price and Trade Board?had an office in the building from 1940-1945. In 1952-54, a one-storey addition was built on the north side of the building.
Despite the building originally being intended for postal services, many additional features were included. In the basement there was a shooting gallery, fuel room, vault and pump room, while on the?main floor, there?was the post office, vault, customs examining warehouse, and a Weights and Measure office.
The?second floor?consisted of the customs long room, the collector’s office, a place for the customs' records, two offices for Inland Revenue, a brick vault, armoury and a Commanding Officer’s room. The?third floor?contained a five-room apartment.
Designated Historic Site
In 1977, the building was purchased by the City of Humboldt and was designated a?National Historic Site. It became home to the?Humboldt and District Museum?in 1982 and the building was designated a?Municipal Heritage Site?in 1984?and a?Provincial Heritage Site?in 2010.