What is Our Humboldt?
Our Humboldt is a call to action... it is a collaborative planning and engagement initiative that has created a community-designed strategic framework that will inform decisions about the City over the next several years.
This process explored the culture of our community - who we are and what we value. It allowed everyone to have a voice and asked ... what do we want the future of our community to look like?
And how do we preserve our community as we welcome people and investment from around the world?
2016-2017 Saskatchewan Municipal Award Winner
For this work, Humboldt was recognized with a provincial award that acknowledged the development and application of such an integrated, innovative approach to municipal governance. The award was presented in February 2017 during SUMA's annual convention.
(Photos L-R: Saskatchewan Municipal Award; Award presentation to staff/City Council)
Helping People Make Good Decisions
This plan is meant to be a guide for the entire community and will tell leaders and community groups what matters most when making decisions and planning for the future. It will also be a way to inspire new projects, activities, and connections in our community.
This initiative has helped create a road map for Humboldt on areas ranging from housing and land use to recreation, culture, transportation, public spaces... and more!
The City of Humboldt managed this process with Canadian Urban Institute, an organization dedicated to creating thriving, sustainable and engaged urban regions.
Through community consultation sessions and other means, it provided the opportunity to tap into the expertise that Canadian Urban Institute held, to have people talk to each other about what matters to them in our community, and for people to talk to the City about these issues.
It was also a way for the City to create a plan that focuses on working together, creating partnerships as well as building on the strengths of the public, businesses and not-for-profit groups.
It was a rare opportunity to create a plan such as this ... and we did it through insightful comments, discussion and ideas.
Featured Articles & Presentations
- Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association Urban Voice - Spring 2017 (pp. 33-35): 'Our Humboldt: Values-led Strategic Change'
- Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association Urban Voice - Winter 2014 (pp. 38-39): 'Our Humboldt - Planning and budgeting through a new lens'
- SaskCulture Engage - Summer 2014: 'Our Humboldt - Looking Toward the Future Through a Cultural Lens'
- วิเคราะห์บอล8888Transforming Cultural Planning Presentation (p. 26) at the Creative City Network of Canada Summit, June 11-13, 2014
The Our Humboldt Advisory Committee championed this initiative and included individuals that represented different sectors within the community:
- Malcolm Eaton - (Former) Mayor, City of Humboldt
- Linda Mattock - (Former) Councillor, City of Humboldt
- David Gullacher - CEO, Prairie Agricultural Machinery Institute
- Janice Ruedig - (Retired) Branch Manager, Conexus Credit Union
- Dean Hergott - Partner, Hergott Seidel & Associates and Chair, Downtown Business Improvement District
Project support was provided by the City of Humboldt's City Manager, the Director of Communications & Community Development and the Director of Cultural Services.
Funding for this initiative was provided, in part, through SaskCulture and BHP Billiton.
Share What You Love About Our Humboldt
As the City of Humboldt implements this plan, we need to continue to share our work and hear from citizens.
Watch for ongoing ways to share what you love about "Our Humboldt" ... we all have a stake in helping our community grow, develop and thrive!
Now that a plan has been developed, it will take many years to support the strategic actions identified to improve our quality of life.
The City of Humboldt is currently working on how to implement activities that link to the plan's framework ... and encourages individuals and community groups to read the plan and look for ways to support the strategic actions.